Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's Not a Hobby

Here's what this blog is about: Writing.

Specifically, my writing. Every day.

Not for fun, although it is. Not for a writing group, although I have a couple. Not for a pick up line, although it does work as such. In short, it's not a hobby.

This is writing for professional publication by a professional writer. That is, it's a blog about my chosen profession, and how I intend to make a full-time living at it.

Here's what you'll see on the blog everyday around 5-7PM (my time). At the bottom, you'll see the daily word count target: Yes, No, or OK, and the current project status. In the body, you'll have something about writing and something on some other topic as it occurs to me. There will be pictures. And maybe a podcast.

Every day, unless I'm dead, I will write at least 250 words (1 handwritten sheet) of fiction. That's the absolute minimum. In a full day's writing, I will write at least 2000 words (or finish the story). Half-day is 1000, and Better Minimum is 500.

Writing this much is Easy, if I sit down and do it. The hard point is writing that much and writing it well, and keeping on writing it better and experimenting and making it bigger, smarter, faster, thicker. More elegant. And using fewer adjectives. Anybody could do it, who can type.

But since I'll sit down and actually do it every day, whether I want to or not...It's Not a Hobby.

But it's a great way to live.

#

The introduction is over, and I finished up the first Big Peril Scene, a running battle through the crumbling streets of a post-apocalyptic world. Introducing the metaphor zombies (although they're not called zombies, because this is the Far Future after a singularity apocalypse). I think my idea is fresh enough to justify using zombies. It's not just "The reader's bored! Send in the zombies." Now I get to introduce a couple of Earth characters as they meet Our Heroes the Space Scouts. Fun.

Oh no, zombie! Why did I use my voodoo stylus...

----
2000 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long To Die" - chapter eight (~2/25)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...