Tuesday, September 14, 2010

AudioShorts

I've listened to a short story "audiobook" for the first time and I like it a lot more than audiobooks. Maybe I don't have the attention span for book-length audiobooks, because I read really fast. Maybe I just like short stories better than books. Anyways, these Audioshorts are an interesting entity.

[...snip...snip...]

I've ordered a few more genre and "literature" collections from various sources. I also know that there are some magazines that have an audio division for their short stories, which I wouldn't think would be awesome until now.

I do have some audiobooks, which I listen to while I'm doing something that's not reading or writing (video games, photo editing, falling asleep, cooking, cleaning, sewing, sex), because I hate sinking time into one thing when I'm perfectly capable of reading-that is, training my writer's brain-at the same time.

I'm not actually sure where this train of thought is going, but suffice it to say: David Likes AudioShorts and Can't Organize the Paragraphs of His Post Properly.

Finally [fixed].

Link
#

I did a lot of research a while back into hydroponics and off-Earth farming while writing a few stories. It's interesting, but also frustrating. It always makes me feel that Earth is just not properly organized and we should really get our act together. This isn't a "Where's my jetpack?" whine, this is a "Where's my basic food security for everybody?" question.

A lot of science fiction is too concerned with all the cool stuff we might have in the future without considering all the cool people we'll need to properly use it.

----
250 words? Yes
Short Story "The Language of Ice Cubes"
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
- - - -
Reading - "The Dunwich Horror" (H.P. Lovecraft)

5 comments:

  1. Those Lovecraft audioshorts probably come in real handy when you bring a nice girl home after a night of drinking.

    "The aperture was black with a darkness almost material. That tenebrousness was indeed a positive quality; for it obscured such parts of the inner walls as ought to have been revealed..."

    Oh, wait: replace nice girls with Old Ones.

    Tuhuhuhuhuh.

    -bn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nothing wrong with a mature woma...oh, I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit of a skeptic about human nature myself. I can't help but think of a fancy new technology and progress immediately to "how would we abuse it?" It makes for good story ideas though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take the inevitable abuse if we actually USE some of this technology for something better than Baconnaise. We could have food in pill form by now, I just know it. Those are really easy to distribute! There have been case studies proving this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd want food in pill form. We'd lose the oral gratification. I imagine a lot of people would turn it down for that reason--even if they were starving. People don't always do what's best for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...