Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lovecraft

Someone recently gave me a collection of H.P.Lovecraft audiobooks, a bunch of the good classic short stories (and a few of the especially silly ones). The performer quality ranges from great to goofy, but some chills exist where you'd expect it. The only unfortunate lack is "At the Mountains of Madness". I would have liked to hear somebody intoning the description of the giant mutant penguins without laughing, besides which it's my favorite story.

H.P. Lovecraft has been an inspiration not so much on the substance of my writing as on the format and source of my writing. Regarding format, short fiction, clear plot, emotions. I like the idea of concocting a loose-bound Mythos. Regarding source: wracked by dreams? Write 'em down! Here's David: "Oh, you're allowed to do that?" Hurrah!

But I don't really write Cosmic Horror. My vision of an uncaring universe doesn't even care enough to have cultists ready to destroy itself.

Link
#

Anyways, Lovecraft was scared of girls and afraid of money, and was probably much more racist than even the abysmal average of his time. So screw him, the insane weirdo. Party!

In this picture, the umbrella represents the thin barrier of sanity between you and my complete understanding of the universe. The raincoat represents staying dry in the rain.

----
250 words? Yes
Short Story "The Language of Ice Cubes"
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
- - - -
Reading - "The Call of Cthulhu" (H.P. Lovecraft)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...