Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Which There Is A Susurrus

Sometimes I think of a title without having any particular image, character or plot to go with it. Usually these titles languish somewhere until I slap them on an otherwise inoffensive work or, more rarely, an image appears. Well, today I'm going to do something different: You may now ask: what is it? I'll wait.

Why, The First by David Barron Flash Fiction Orgy, of course!


Guidelines: Write a flash fiction (greater than 300 words, no more than 1000: shoot for 500) with the title "In Which There Is a Susurrus". Any genre and style.

Submission: Three options - Post the story as a comment in this post, post the story on your own blog and comment in this post with a link, or send it to me in the body of an e-mail.

Payment: All the traffic you can eat from my meager internet presence (read that as: probably nada) and the joy of binding an internet community of writers closer together with the power of words.

Outcome: Depending on response. I'll either run a poll to see which one is coolest or just choose the one or two that I like best and invite the writers to make a guest post. The story would be in this top section, and a little blurb plus a picture of their choice in the section below.

Deadline: Let's say the Wednesday after next (October 6)?

C'mon, it'll be fun!

UPDATE (01/16/2011) : In The Deep Deep Sea There Is An Even Deeper Susurrus (Ben Godby)
The only (and only vaguely related at that) progeny of this ill-fated competition. Still, it's something.

Link
#

I'm the 'Columbo' of mystery writers, in that the audience already knows the answer to the mystery beforehand and the tension is in how the mystery is solved. Alternatively, the tension derives from there being a bunch of different possible solutions to the same problem. Which one will our protagonists choose? And then what happens?

Pure mystery, though? Eh. Whenever I try to write it I always envision a reality TV show dragging out the drumroll music for way too long.

Be that as it may: Sherlock Holmes is so cool he can outwit even a pseudodragon.

----
500 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
Project "Untitled"
- - - -
Reading - "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

2 comments:

  1. I'm working on this, David. The problem for me is coming up with an idea that isn't, on the face of it, absurd.

    What's funny is that I routinely use the word "susurration" in my writing (well maybe not routinely, but definitely more than I use it in speaking). But the word "susurrus" sounds so... inappropriate. It feels like there should be a taboo against susurri.

    Maybe that's a story right there...

    -bn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I don't want to discourage absurdity, but I take the opposite view of 'susurration' vs. 'susurrus'. And I'm even more entrenched in that opinion now that you've introduced 'susurri', which sounds like what a sufficiently advanced Humanity would call an alien species.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...