Tuesday, September 21, 2010

You Don't Know My Name

Whenever I talk about myself I feel I go a bit overboard. At heart, I'm a humble person, I just happen to be exuberantly self-confident (some might say 'cocky') most of the time.

This is all to say that self-advertisement is a real strain for me, because on the one hand I know what's true ("David is awesome") but I get the strange feeling that I should drag it down to avoid seeming pompous. 'What are your weaknesses?' is always the interview question to which I give the longest answer, in other words. I still get hired, and my brief experience with management tells me that this makes sense. If somebody knows their weaknesses they know their strengths.

What does this have to do with Writing? Well, every single piece I finish I pause for the briefest of seconds before putting my name on it. Every single blog post I write, every single bit of the 'DavidalBarron' octopersona that's scattered about the internet, every cover letter I write, every blurb every summary every critique note...same thing. Am I being a big pile of bull pride?

My only consolation is that I'm nowhere near being a household name, and when I am: Well, I'll worry about that when I get there. Maybe this is why all those writers use pseudonyms...

Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name.



Oh yeah!

(Ok, that wasn't really related to the post at all. But it's Classic Rock, baby!)

#

This bar is calm, you can hear yourself talk and you can listen to yourself think. You can go there to sit by yourself to drink alone and ponder, or you can go there to talk to people-friend and stranger, or you can go there to flirt with intelligent people. There's live music, of the subdued variety that doesn't overwhelm the conversation. There sometimes a lounge singer who wanders around the tables, but only once a night per gender. All in all, then, it's a bar where drinking aids and abets socialization, and personalities can rub shoulders or stay apart as the mood takes them.

That's my kind of bar.

----
500 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long to Die"
Project "Untitled"
- - - -
Reading - "Jeffty is Five" (Harlan Ellison)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...