Saturday, November 27, 2010

E Pur Si Muove

Awesome Lines in fiction and reported reality! Whoo! Let's get it on!

As you are no doubt aware, "E pur si muove" ("And Yet It Moves") is what Galileo muttered under his breath after recanting under duress his discovery that the Earth orbits the Sun. Badass, even if it probably didn't happen.

In my writing, I'm perfectly willing to go for the great line if it comes natural (and they do). The trick, as I see it, is to not downplay it and to build a scene or, if it's especially good, the story around it. Hey, it might even turn out to be the title... "I have no mouth, and I must scream."

That's the whole point of great lines, though. They solidify the event in the mind and serve as capstones to the description. They're dramatic punch-lines: "Yes, I give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!"

Not that comedy doesn't get some great lines. Here's the hands-down best:


That movie is the only good thing about golf.

#

There is a certain percentage of people I meet for the first time who are immediately annoyed by me, for one reason or the other. That's fine. I've come to terms with the face that I grow on people.

I'm like a cheerful fungus. That drinks a lot.

----
250 words?
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
- - - -
Reading - ?

*113

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...