Monday, November 29, 2010

You Don't Have to Believe

You don't have to believe in what you write, you just have to suspend your disbelief that your characters believe it, and you have to ignore your own personal beliefs when you're writing a Story. When you're writing Biting Satire (good) or a Political Tract (bad, or at least lame), disregard this message.

I don't like to spend a lot of time reading fiction guessing the writer's political affiliation. If I do know, I will ignore it. If it's impossible to ignore, I will consult the Biting Satire vs. Political Tract paradigm to see if I can continue reading.

Lit Crit approaching its worst devolves into a discussion of the writer's autobiography rather than the writer's literature. That's the realm of History/Political Science (or more likely Pop Psychology) and is great fun, but not really about Writing.

Speaking of Literature, I need to write something really pretentious just to get it out of my system. Here's an excerpt of something I've started writing. Recorded in the middle of the night whilst drunk.

115 - Dreams, Loss, Loneliness

This is going to be awesome! It might even count as "slipstream".

#

I have a friend who deliberately pronounces "manga" as "mango". Just to be weird. Fine by me, it's a silly word anyways, and mango are delicious.

Here's my new rule, comics from Japan: What?

----
250 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
Short Story "Dreams, Loss, Loneliness"
- - - -
Reading - ?

*115

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...