Friday, January 7, 2011

Otherwise Idle Moments

I need to be a better manager. Since I'm self-employed in this Writing thing, I need to force myself to be much more productive than I otherwise would be, to realize my own potential and profit. The trick, I think, is to consider the long-term.

I've never had a Good Boss. Whether that's because I'm almost entirely self-motivated or because there are very few good managers is up to the end. It could also be that I haven't had a good boss yet. I've had a few asshole bosses, and a few ineffectual team-building bosses. If I wanted to be part of a team, I'd have asked for stock options.

(I just swallowed a bug, but I'm pressing on. Stupid tropics.)

Long-term thinking seems to be very important, but not in the sense of "There'll be plenty of time to write later." I need to force myself to write now so that there'll be a later where I can force myself to write for a living. I suspect, although I can't be sure, that this will be easier.

But who the hell knows? As for me, get back to work. My door is always open, except when it's closed. Then I'm either having sex or taking a conference call. The sound is about the same.

A hand-crafted weapon of war
#

Wread This First -

Ghostweight (Yoon Ha Lee)
Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue #52
Great/Good/OK/Bad

I read "the mercenaries in their starfaring kites had cindered cities" Oh, hell yeah. Throughout this story there are tantalizing glimpses of space-kites and folded-paper weapons of mass destruction. This was a cool enough visual to draw me in, but then I drowned in backstory and exposition.

I'm not sure what side these starfaring kite mercenaries are on, for instance, and I couldn't unravel the main character's background. I also felt let down by the ending. There were a few too many "reveals" that the plot had not prepared me to be shocked by. Of special note: I do not understand Kiriet's motivation.

Still, evocative kite imagery (and clever use of the word "haptics") keeps it from being a waste of time.

----
250 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long to Die"
- - - -
Reading - ?

*154

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...