Sunday, January 2, 2011

Nothing Happened Today

Everybody seems to be sleeping off their hangover except me, who always wakes up exactly six hours after he goes to sleep regardless of inebriation. So rather than disturb people by writing some crazy blog post, I'll go through the fiction magazines I read, and thus the ones I tend to shoot my submissions toward. 

Asimov's Science Fiction
Sheila Williams
Well, of course.

Beneath Ceaseless Skies
Scott H. Andrews
Personal favorite!
This is where all my fantastical alternate history and quasi-fantasy goes. I'm just obsessed, now. By the by, Fantastical Alternate History & Quasi-Fantasy would be a good name for a magazine. "FAH&Q-F": I call dibs.

Clarkesworld Magazine
Neil Clarke
Solid, and I like audiofiction.
The only annoyance is that you have to wait seven days before submitting something new. I have a lot of short fiction circulating, and that throws off my schedule. Eh.

Daily Science Fiction
Jonathan Laden
Michele Barasso
It's Fantasy and Science Fiction and it comes every day to my Inbox? Awesome. I regularly read the longer Friday stories, but I'll occasionally breeze through the weekday flash fiction.
The submission system is weird...but it works.

Fantasy Magazine
Lightspeed Magazine
John Joseph Adams
Lightspeed Magazine has a really slick website design and good fiction. Fantasy Magazine? I don't like the layout but I like the stories when I'm in the mood for Fantasy. Which is better than the reverse.
I submit here on those days when I want to get a response really fast. I think I once got a response back before I finished reading one of the front-page stories at Lightspeed Magazine. That's fun.

Strange Horizons
Susan Marie Groppi
Good fiction and a Bonus! The SH "Stories We've Seen Too Often" page, notable for being the only one of its kind that doesn't give me ideas for stories to subvert it. That's a good sign of taste. Example:
#10 Someone calls technical support; wacky hijinx ensue.
a. Someone calls technical support for a magical item.
b. Someone calls technical support for a piece of advanced technology.
c. The title of the story is 1-800-SOMETHING-CUTE.

and...

Futurismic
Paul Graham Raven
Christopher East
I mostly read the articles here, but whenever I write a "Near-future, Earth-based science fiction" story (not often) I send it over here. I wouldn't mind being one of their bloggers though. That'd be fun.

These reflect the basic ratio of my fiction writing as well, about 60% SF, 30% parts F, and 10% part Goofy

#

That looks kinda fun...

Oh, Mr. Drunky, why do you take all the good times?

----
600 words? Yes
Short Story "Science Up Some Love"
- - - -
Reading - see above, jeez.

*149

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could wake up rested after six hours of sleep. That'd give me an extra 2-3 hours of daytime to do stuff with!

    I've seen the title Futurismic before, but somehow never actually looked at it until now. It's really too bad they're on hiatus right now, as a large amount of what I write would fit with them, I think. I'll be keeping an eye out and submitting regularly once they're open. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...