Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Brain-storm

I don't need to brainstorm anymore. Or, I am operating under a constant downpour of new ideas. Once I choose one out of the torrent, the storm front advances along behind the idea, adding to it until the storm breaks and the sun comes out and reflects off the puddle that is the story. Except the water doesn't evaporate, and the Brain-storm starts right back up after a dramatic pause, inundating me.

Sometimes (not often) I don't want to be creative because it gets in the way of Life. But Life has provided cheap sandbags against the flood of ideas. And the effects wear off at about the same rate as my enthusiasm returns.

#

I'm taking my first stab at writing an alternate history, as well as taking my first stab at writing steam-punk. There's a lot of stabbing going on, is what I'm saying. The way I look at it, alternate history is a convenient way for me to use a degree in political science and a penchant for reading (not studying) history. And no footnotes. Anyways, when you mix that with steam-punk you end up with a cheerful blend of alternate fact and fantasy all boiled up together in a no-longer-anachronistic stew.

We'll see how it goes, but for now: Penguin Martini.

----
500 words? Yes
Short Story "Timpani the Ostrich Rancher" - expanded, in progress (~1/2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...