Sunday, August 8, 2010

Finish what you write


Heinlein's Rules:
1. You must write.
2. You must finish what you write.
3. You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order.
4. You must put the work on the market.
5. You must keep the work on the market until it is sold.

The rest are easy.

If I have even the smallest amount of time, I can and will write. I hate rewriting, because Perfect is the enemy of Good. I'm immune to rejection through constant practice. I'm persistent: the main trouble is finding more and more markets to stuff full of new stuff, not refusing to keep sending old stuff out.

But finishing what I write? I've got so many ideas!

I've long since realized that I have more ideas than I'll ever write, and that's fine.

In the next couple of months I intend to review and then finish some of the abandoned stories. Because they weren't abandoned because they're Bad, they were abandoned because I thought of something else.

#

I'm going to try my best to write a "Steam Punk" story, set in an alternate Victorian-era Earth. This best fits the ridiculous image that popped into my head, with modifications. Quartz did not evolve intelligence and become the dominant species of Earth in this alternate universe. That's just silly. But there are ostriches, and that's enough for me. I should have it done and submitted before the end of the week.

This is not a portrait of the main character, but gets the idea across.

----
2000 words? Yes
Short Story "Timpani the Ostrich Rancher" - in progress (~1/3).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...