Saturday, September 4, 2010

Discovery Handwriting

(If you can see this post, I passed. Practicing my blogskills is not procrastinating. Next blogskill: podcasts)

I write two types of short stories: Character and Plot. A Plot short story is when I sit down with a Beginning and an End and come up with some characters that can handle the Middle. A Character short story is when I sit down with a Character and a Beginning and find out what happens.

I call my technique for writing a less-developed plot 'Discovery Handwriting'. The advantages are that all my crossed-out sentence constructions and false starts are preserved and I can make margin notes more conveniently than in a word processor.

It's a good reminder not to try to make it look pretty, because I'm going to be typing it up as a manuscript document later anyways. It's a free edit session without being as destructive of my creativity as regular editing.

It's also fun to spike each manuscript page and watch the pile grow. And the ladies are more impressed by my dissolute writer persona a lot of loose-leaf scribblings are scattered around the house with the empty bottles.

#

You know what I like? Cooking for myself. I eat a lot of instant noodles, but only because it's more convenient. I get the low-sodium kind with spicy flavor and add fresh steamed vegetables with potato for bulk. It's quick, easy, and I'm boiling liters of water a day for tea anyways, so I might as well use it for other purposes.

Come into my garden, look at my fish. Aren't they nice? The correct answer is yes. Now I shall wave a fan coquettishly. 

----
1000 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
- - - -
Reading - "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" (Susanna Clarke)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...