Friday, December 10, 2010

Magical Adventures in the Everyday

Now that I have finished "Sorcerer's Hire" (i.e. Magic) and "Ostracon" (i.e. Knight-Errantry) it is time to revisit Fantasy and see what I have Learned.

I kicked Fantasy ass
Just to get that out of the way. One story in a magical-industrial warfare setting and one tale of mesolithic errantry. Not half bad.

Magic is fun, sometimes
It's an interesting challenge to work out the system the story wants.

I don't write Medieval European Fantasy
and I tend toward the low end on the spectrum from High to Low Fantasy. Urban Fantasy is amongst my next projects. I also take the view that plenty of people are writing classic fantasy. I want to see where else I can put Fantasy. Anyways, I didn't read all this non-European history and anthropology to set all my stories in a setting I am less qualified to evoke.

Description is more important in Fantasy
The big Craft take-away (as opposed to genre distinction) is that I don't describe much. Whether that means I don't describe enough or I describe just enough is up to experiment. I'll have to roll through a few stories describing more than I usually do and see what happens.

#

The results are in on my productivity survey. Lots of folk recommended Freedom, so I tried it out. Then I found a better tool called Rescue Time, which fits my need for statistics better.

Use it, and this pretty lady might glance at you briefly before walking on.

----
250 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long To Die"
- - - -

*126

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...