Sunday, December 26, 2010

Me vs Me

Sometimes I find myself just sitting and wondering "Why am I not writing?" It's a comic, tragic, just plain silly event and it leads me to pinpoint me as my primary foe. Or at least the only foe with whom I have any fight.

Publishers? Eh, they're theoretically on my side (at least on the Writing side). If they like it, they'll buy it, if they don't like it, well...there're more publishers. Fighting them won't make a difference one way or the other.

Readers? They want something to read that doesn't suck, and they're willing to pay for it. That's not so much a "fight" as a "transaction". The customer is always right. Of course, I lay emphasis on the word "customer", e.g. Someone Who Would Actually Buy Something.

Still, Publishers and Readers are more like babies demanding to be fed than enemies trying to steal my food. That'd be Me. That jerk who sometimes sits around all day wasting time on the Internet or watching some stupid show. As Mr. Screwtape brags to his nephew about the victim: "You can keep him up late at night, not roistering, but staring at a dead fire in a cold room."

Too depressing? I modify the Ratatouille* cooking mantra for application: "Anybody can write." It's just that the difference between "can" and "will" is a wide gap of apathy and other interests, or just wasting time until death's sweet sweet embrace. Oops.

*Micro review: Great Movie, I liked all of it except the scenes where only rats were talking. Except the cooking montage and the final wrap-up.

Anyways, I'm going to beat myself up. That'll show me who's boss. Me, that's who.

Meanwhile, I'll be writing.

#

Are you scared of the dark?

Yes, jeez, leave me alone.

(time passes)

Ah! Stop showing me The Dark, you jerk.

----
250 words? Yes
Book "Lived Too Long to Die"
- - - -
Reading - ?

*142

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...