Monday, February 7, 2011

Extruded Book Product

I'm spending a lot of time getting into the zone, so it's important that I believe that what I'm getting into the zone for is worth doing. What I'm trying to do is write a lot, write continuously, and write whenever I have time. Is this a good idea?

Here's how we test it: How do the works of other people, written at a furious pace, stand up. The only classics I can think of off-hand are "Candide" and "The Three Musketeers", which are pretty good, but there are plenty of others. As far as I can tell, the writers whose fiction I've read my whole life are those writers who produced a bunch of fiction and managed to hit the gold with some of it, possibly by pure chance. It helps that they also made a good living, the ones who didn't blow it all on hookers and booze.

My goal then is to write as fast and as much as them, but also invest judiciously so that I can have booze pretty much continuously without worrying about dying in poverty. That's pretty classic. 

#

Pulp writing is half the fun of writing. If you pretend that what you're writing is ephemera, there's a pretty good chance you'll let yourself be creative enough for it to pass the test of time. Just don't think of it being compared to "Twilight" while you're writing it, and it just might work out that it'll be compared to "All the King's Men".

Oh, and all pulp is literary fiction by default. I'm declaring that now, because if this works out I'll be able to afford to start a literary magazine and define what literature is for the next generation.

Here's a hint: Literature is Good.

Oh, the title of this post came from TV Tropes' Extruded Book Product. So there's that.

----
Story:?
Story "Title"
- - - -
Reading - ?

*185

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...